The 10 hour drive was one of the most scenic yet. I couldn't imagine it getting better after bicycling through rice fields but driving through the thousands of bright green mountains with a creek running thru was truly a warm welcome.
My group went from 16 in Cambodia, to 15 in Vietnam to now a small group of 6 of us. Louise and Krysia from England, Sam from Switzerland, Jeremy from Virginia and Matt from Canada.
Unlike my experience with northern Vietnamese people, the people of Laos are incredibly friendly and smile very often. It feels like I'm back in Cambodia in this regard. Oh how that touches my heart. Poverty is pretty apparent here in Laos and smiles still prevail. Such a good example for me to learn from.
Unlike Vietnam, Laos is comprised mainly of Buddhists so temples (wats) are scattered throughout country. Im so happy to return to a Buddhist country as part of this journey of mine is somewhat of a pilgrimage. Feels great to walk down the street and pass by a monk, chat with him for a bit and then walk into a massive temple full of beautiful buddahs. These temples are constant reminders of the life I continually seek out - that of simplicity, meditation and ultimately happiness. I admire these monks and feel honored to be welcomed into their temples.
My tour guide said something interesting to me on our drive to Laos. He warned us that there will be a lot of monasteries and young novice monks walking the streets of the capital city, Vientiane. He mentioned how these boys often times chose to leave their homes in the countryside and take advantage of the free education at the monasteries in order to have future opportunities. They are free to leave whenever they want but choosing this path definitely sets them up for a better life then if they chose to stay put in the countryside.
I thought of how this compares to opportunities in the US and thought about the military as an option for young boys to create future opportunities. Not in all circumstances is this true but I've met many men who choose to join the military because they lack direction in life and figure they can get a free education and make some money to serve their country. I am leaving my judgment out of this choice people make as I feel everyone needs something different in his/her life and I commend those who fight for our country. But with this comparison I found it interesting that in SE Asia, boys go off to become monks and in the US boys go off to be soldiers fighting. These are two extreme opposite ends of the spectrum. One instilling peace and the other instilling violence and fear. Just think the contrast is quiet extreme.
Our first stop was Vientiane, the capital city. Only a short stay was needed as the entire city was comprised of one major street with French inspired bakeries, coffee shops, massage places, the night market along the Mekong river and an amazing buddah park outside the city limits. There is a big French influence here in Laos because the French colonized this part of Asia by the late 19th century. It has been a month now and this was the first time I stepped foot in what seemed like such a western shop to eat. I actually didn't care for it much. In fact I don't miss western restaurants AT ALL! I'm enjoying Asian food so much!
Coincidently my friend, Mike, who I met in Chiang Mai, was in Vientiane so we met up and had another amazing dinner together. Mike took me to a restaurant called Makphet that hires street kids to cook and serve. The mission is to get kids off the streets from begging and give them jobs and empower them to work and make a life for themselves. I was so happy to spend loads of money at this restaurant! It was perfect!
They have sister restaurants to. As a group we visited the one in Cambodia called Friends. These are must restaurants to visit and contribute to!
Next morning we rose early to visit the Buddah Park before our 6 hour journey to our second stop, Lauang Prabang. (hence more writing as I have plenty of time to waste so there may be more details to share while I'm in Laos)
Oh this park was great fun! Two favorite things in one place - buddahs and nature - happy as can be!
For more pics of Vientiane and the Buddha Park click on this picture below!

Wow, the buddha park looks amazing!
ReplyDelete