Monday, May 9, 2011

Laos Cooking and Vang Vieng

I’m doing it! I’m really doing it! A cooking course in each country I visit!! Yay! So far I’m accomplishing this goal! And I am LOVING the experience.
Today, I had the fortunate opportunity to work one on one with a local in the kitchen of the guesthouse I was staying at. I went up to the front desk to ask about cooking classes and the manager totally hooked me up! It was incredible. He told me to meet at the entrance of the guesthouse tomorrow morning at 7:30am and my teacher, Wan, will pick me up, take me to the market and return to cook. I was told to just pay for the ingredients and that’s it. Really?! How can this be?! This is the ideal situation!!!! And did it work out you ask? It worked out even better than I expected. I got to chose exactly what I wanted to cook and vuola – done! Here is a pure example of the kindness of the Laos people. They are giving in nature and accommodating to us tourists.
Here is Wan and I in the outdoor kitchen of the guesthouse. We just got back from the market and ready to cook!


 I chose very basic dishes so I could return home and repeat these recipes. They were each delicious and very easily reproducible.

First we cooked  a Pumpkin Soup

Laos Pumpkin Soup
Diced pumpkin (skinned and deseeded)
Enough water to blend pumpkin
4 tbsp Coconut milk (+ more for garnish)
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp Sugar
Pinch of Salt
Pinch of black pepper
 Garnish: Cilantro

*I would add ginger next time
Place raw cubed pumpkin and water in blender. Blend till smooth.

Heat up butter and coconut milk in pan and heat on high for 5 minutes. Add blended pumpkin to pan. Boil on high for a few minutes.

Add a pinch of salt, sugar and black pepper.

Garnish with a bit more coconut milk and cilantro. 


Next dish was a delicious Steamed Lemongrass Fish dish


Laos Steamed Fish
Filet of fish cubed
2 stalks of lemongrass thinly sliced on the diagonal
3 inches of minced ginger
2 minced green onions
4-5 minced kefir lime leaves
6 tbsp of coconut milk
3 tbsp of soy sauce
Banana leaves to cook in with toothpicks
Steamer

Add fish, veggies, coconut milk, soy sauce into a bowl and mix.
Add mixture to a banana leaf and steam for 20 minutes.




Third dish was Veggie/Tofu Stir Fry with Peanut Sauce

Laos Stir Fry Tofu and Veggies with Peanut Sauce
Stir Fry:
Veggies: Cut on a diagonal a handful each of green leafy and long beans. Mince 2 spring onions, 3 inches of ginger, 2 cloves of garlic. Thinly slice 1 carrot.
1 cup of fish flavored tofu

1 tbsp of oyster sauce
1 tbsp of soy sauce
1 tbsp of sugar
Pinch of salt
Pinch of black pepper
Oil
Garnish: cilantro

Peanut Sauce:
2 handful of peanuts
Water to blend peanuts
4 shallots
2 garlic cloves
4 tbsp of coconut milk
1 tbsp red curry paste
1  tbsp of sugar
Pinch of salt
Place oil in a pan and heat. Add ginger and sauté for a minute. Add the tofu and continue to stir fry. Next add all of the veggies and mix until wilted. Add the oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar, salt and black pepper. Lastly, add some peanut sauce if desired.
Garnish with cilantro

Peanut sauce:
Blend peanuts, water, shallots and garlic. Set aside.
Heat oil in a pan and add the coconut milk. Stir for 5 minutes.
Add the peanut mixture and mix well. Let boil.
Add salt and sugar.


Fourth  was Vegetable Fried Rice



Laos Veggie Fried Rice
1 ½ cup cooked rice
Small diced long beans
Small diced cabbage
Thinly sliced carrot
Thinly sliced green leafy veggie
Minced garlic – 2 cloves

1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
½ tbsp sugar
½ tbsp black soy sauce
Oil
Garnish: cilantro

Heat oil in a wok. Add garlic sauté for 1 minute. (If you want to use an egg add the egg at this time and scramble)
Add the veggies and sauté until wilted.
Next, add the oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar, and black soy sauce. Lastly, add the rice and sauté for a few more minutes.
Garnish with cilantro.

*Place rice in a bowl and pack tightly. Flip over the bowl onto a plate and lift bowl. You should be left with a nice dome of rice.


Last, for dessert, was Coconut Sticky Rice. Yummy!


Laos Coconut Sticky Rice
1 cup of sticky rice
1 ½ cup of coconut milk
3 tbsp of sugar
Pinch of salt
1 tbsp butter
Garnish: fruit and marmalade

Heat butter in a pan. Add the coconut milk and boil for 5 minutes. Add the sugar and continue to stir.
Add the sticky rice and break up into pieces mixing it into the sauce.
Stir on and off until the mixture thickens.
Garnish and serve.


Wan was such a sweet women to work with. And the hug she gave me with appreciation for my gracious tip was a memory I will always remember.
I had SO many leftovers it was such a wonderful feeling to share with all of my new friends. Now, I look forward to reproducing these recipes to share with family and friends!! Can’t wait!!
For detailed pictures of the process click on this photo below.
 

Later that day I took a ride on an ATV to do some sightseeing and of course got super dirty. Here are some pictures of the town I was visiting called Vang Vieng. Great little town full of tourists. Most popular thing to do in Vang Vieng is go tubing down the river, but since this was my only chance to take a cooking course in Laos, I had to pass on the tubing. I don’t regret it at all! One other highlight of Vang Veing to note are the outdoor bars scattered throughout the city with TV’s playing Friends series over and over and over. I am completely and utterly serious. I have some pictures for proof. Felt weird being in Laos watching Friends.









2 comments:

  1. Maybe that's why Laotians are so "friend"ly har har har.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recipes....we are so fortunate!

    ReplyDelete