Saturday, April 23, 2011

Ho Chi Minh City - Vietnam War

After another long bus ride today (8 hrs to be exact) we arrived in Ho Chi Minh City also known as Saigon. This is the south tip of Vietnam.

I read trough another book on my ride there so I can learn about the Vietnam war. I can't tell you how excited and grateful I am for free time to read leisurely! Usually I am not one to read history books but now that I am visiting these countries I am soaking it all up!! There is just no comparison with learning history in school :)

Here is another moment of honesty. I knew SO little about the Vietnam war before reading this book :( I didn't know that Northern Vietnams communist government wanted to take over Southern Vietnams government. I didn't know that America allied with Southern Vietnam in order to prevent communism from spreading throughout SE Asia. The defeat of the Americans and Southern Vietnam is now why Vietnam is a communist country.

Because of all of this new information I learned through my book, I now wanted to visit the Cu-Chi tunnels so I could learn more.

Cu-Chi tunnels was a military base used for battle, hiding, and shelter for the Viet Cong (Southern Vietnamese who were communist supporters).
This was an amazing place. We saw booby traps, hiding holes, and of course tunnels. It's amazing that these were created.

Here is a picture of a model of the tunnels. Hard to tell but gives an idea of the structure and depth of the tunnels.



There was also a shooting range on site so in the background of visiting the tunnels we would hear guns fire. Felt crazy walking on the same ground where real battle took place. Makes me feel so incredibly fortunate that I live a life of freedom and safety.

Our tour leader, named Hi ( at least that is what he told us his name is) was in the war. He is from Saigon and was sent to battle at age 18. He was taught English in school so was assigned to be a translator for 300 American soldiers. When he found out I was American he gave me a big smile and said "I like Americans. I understand them". I was so happy with this response because I never know who is going to like an American and who is going to hate them. Luckily I was loved in this situation!




Hi was great!! He told me the slang words he learned from the Americans. I of course encouraged this discussion as I thought it would bring some light to where we were. We all had so much fun! After he shared with us his favorite word, shiT (emphasis on the T!) he kept on going and going and going. We laughed hysterically at the way he kept on saying the word. From then on all stories he shared surrounded something to do with shit! (pardon my language but this is a memory that has to be documented.) Even though it was a simple slang word repeated time and time again, it created an environment where people of different cultures opened up and shared. THIS is a great memory. To share in laughter reminds me that all people are very similar. It didn't matter that Hi was Vietnamese, I was American and the rest of our group represented at least 5 other nationalities. We ALL were able to laugh!

On a serious note, I was so curious what life is like living in a communist country. So what did I do? I asked :) I'm not hesitant to take advantage of asking questions especially when I have the opportunity to chat with a local! These are my favorite memories of my travels. So Hi told me that after the war, when north Vietnam converted the entire country to communism, he was sent to a reeducation camp to teach and brainwash him into believing in the new ways of government. Until 1990 he reports that life was very hard. He had very little freedom and was very poor. After 1990 when the government relaxed on some laws, gave more freedom to the citizens and opened the country up to tourism, Hi feels life is much better. He says he's happy now and ok living in a communist country. I was so pleased to hear this. I just want people to be happy in life. Is that too much to ask?!

Hi was a wonderful tour guide!
Here is my friend Lynn squeezing through a hole, demonstrating what it was like hiding as a soldier.



It was a great day! But also somewhat sad as today some of my favorite new friends are leaving to go home. They actually have jobs and responsibilities at home to return to ;( so can't stay any longer :( I'm going too miss you 3 guys - Greg, Charlie and Ryan. Had such a great time with them!!

Click on this picture for a few more pics of the tunnels!

No comments:

Post a Comment