There is a drastic difference once you cross the border from Cambodia. This is what I have always imagined an Asian country to look and feel like.
First off, there are rice fields for miles and miles. What a beautiful site. So well manicured, in rows after rows.
In addition there are many canals with houses/huts running along and long boats moving their way thru. Really a sight to see! (This is of course only in the country side. I later find out that the cities are not so green and lush)
I'll have to post pics as the week goes on. My phone camera can't capture the beauty like it deserves :)
Everyone and I mean everyone rides motor bikes (scooters) or bicycles. And they mob the streets, follow zero rules, and squeeze their way thru narrow alleys and street markets without a sense of fright in their eyes even at the slightest! And the things they carry on these little motor bikes! Amazing!
This is real! A scooter is pulling this entire load. Welcome to Vietnam! Where magic happens.

The craziest thing about being a pedestrian in this city is that we are taught to just walk across the street and the bikes will drive around you! I repeat, JUST WALK! Really? Are you sure? Well after waiting forever and not finding a break in traffic, what did I do? I JUST WALKED! I was told to just close your eyes if you are scared and walk! Well, it works. Im still alive. I have a fun video clip of me crossing the street. But I decided not to post it as I didn't want to scare my parents :) They already worry enough about me being so far. I love you guys. I am being as safe as possible, promise. But I have no choice but to just walk! :)

Food vendors galore. Mostly selling the famous noodle soup, Pho. Locals eat at very low tables and tiny chairs. Looks like a table that belongs in a kindergarten classroom. I absolutely LOVE them because my feet can touch the floor :)
Her I am enjoying one of my most favorite street food dishes and was even better because I got to enjoy
it at a tiny table!!





Women push around wooden wheel barrels with fresh veggies. Whereas some will just lay out their veggies on the floor and sit there waiting for customers.
In addition many locals wear these hats. I love them!

So far, the most drastic change are the number of people and the landscape. Im in Vietnam!! Yay!!
Other fun facts worth mentioning:
4 million veitnam dong = $200 US dollars.
I felt like a millionaire at the ATM!
And for those random facts to share, Facebook is BANNED throughout the entire country! Vietnam is a communist country so they get to regulate social media. I think many Americans would have a difficult time stepping away from their Facebook account. Elana could care less :)
Our first stop was in Chau Doc. It was a quick stopover to break up a long day of driving. So what did I do with my free time? Have you gotten to know me well enough yet?
To the markets!!!!
Click on this picture below to see what a vietnamese market has to offer! I've never seen so many dried, cured, marinated, etc fish in my life!!

tuk tuks, scooters, bicycles and the chaos that accompanies them is something you will most likely never forget! Walking across the street however sounds like a very frightening experience indeed!
ReplyDeleteI wonder how you teach your child to cross the street? "just close your eyes sweetheart"! Ha! Brings a whole new appreciation to cross walks and street lights.
ReplyDelete