The biggest water fight ever! It's the time of year that EVERYONE turns into a big kid!
I asked around to understand how the water fighting evolved and I was told that it was traditional to pour a SMALL amount of water on each persons head as a sign of good luck for the new year. Now, water guns are loaded and buckets are filled! There is no moderation when it comes to songkran now a days!
Here is what my friend Mike has to say about Songkran. These videos may need some time to load. But they are worth the wait just for a taste of what Songran is like!
Dry Elana. But it didn't last long! (This was the ONLY moment of seriousness the entire day)
And of course I felt bad shooting water at innocent people. Gosh I got to get over this guilt thing and not feel so bad to participate! So most of the day I was a spectator. But I still had tons of fun!

A lot of the water came from the dirty mote that made a square around the old city. I was advised to keep my mouth closed so to avoid ingesting the water and getting sick. I did my best but it's hard to keep your mouth shut when you are laughing and smiling so much :)

And then there were the refill stations that were full of ICE water. Those were the best. Not only were you soaking people but you would get great reactions as they screamed from the chill of the water!
Soaked Elana!!! Happy Elana :)

Here is me with a friend I met from Brazil. Local's came around and smeared white powder on our faces which is also a wish of good luck for the new year!

So here is just a taste of a mild day of Songkran in the best place to be... the only place to be.. Chiang Mai!
Hey! Looks like you had an AWESOME time!!!! Gosh it looks just like when I was there.... can't wait to go back. Great videos too, some funny lines :)
ReplyDeleteSo glad you got to experience it, too bad you couldn't stay the whole time!
That looks like so much fun E!!!!
ReplyDelete