Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, and Ma’al Adummim

This last week of my trip was a really nice way to end my journey. My intention of visiting Israel was to find out what life is like living in this country. I have been here before, so I didn’t feel a need to see all the sights again and do all the touristy attractions. Rather, I wanted to learn more about the politics in Israel, how it effects the daily life of citizens here, and leave with a general idea of the differences between living in Israel vs the US. Well, since I was lucky enough to find another family to stay with, I am happy to say I got exactly what I wanted out of my last week in Israel! I am continuing to learn and grow each day!
The family I stayed with, the Stark’s, have been family friends of ours since the time I was a baby. We use to live next door to them in Irvine, CA until they decided to move to Israel 17 years ago. Lucky for me, my father keeps in touch with the family so he helped connect me with them and wahala – I am here! I had plans to join them for Shabbat dinner, but was happily surprised to find one of their son’s, Aaron, there. So, the anticipated one night stay turned into a week because Aaron and I were having so much fun hanging out together and catching up after a long 17 years apart.
Aaron and I had a wonderful time together. Not only was it fun catching up on our lives, we also got a chance to tour around Israel a bit together. And since Aaron has been living in Israel for the last 17 years, I felt like I was hanging out with a local! That is the best partner to roam around a city with! It was wonderful! We went to the old city of Jerusalem, visited the western wall/kotel, went to BenYahuda street in the center of the city, I visited the big shuk/market in Jerusalem where I bought some of the best spices a girl can ask for!!!, and we visited Tel Aviv one night meeting up with another long lost friend from my childhood, Neir. And we also took a late night swim in the Mediterranean Sea to top off our night out in Tel Aviv – was really fun minus some Jelly Fish stings.
Below is a picture of Neir and Aaron - long lost friends now found :)



I really had a wonderful last week. I felt like I got a good sneak peak into what life is like living in Israel and am once again very grateful for having the opportunity to stay with an Israeli family. There is no better way to get a feel for the culture than living with a family for a week. A travelers dream! Well, at least it is mine ;)


Click on this picture below for the entire album

1 comment:

  1. That is so amazing! I had no idea you would be staying with family and friends while in Israel. And what a wonderful chance to reconnect with old friends. Sounds wonderful minus the jelly fish stings.....but I'm sure you know of a few good remedies :)

    ReplyDelete