Monday, May 16, 2011

First impressions of India

Chaos, pure chaos. That just about sums up my first day experience in India. Dirty and chaotic. I guess I am finished with this post.
No no… wait. I have more to say.
 I will do my best to describe what I mean by chaos. Tuk Tuk’s  mob the roads, zooming through the lanes, squeezing through traffic, swerving through lanes abiding by zero rules. Horns galore!! You are forced to cover your ears at times from the upheaval of noise created by everyone beeping their freaking horns! People walk right through traffic, along with goats, cows, pigs, donkey, chickens  and dogs roaming directly into traffic holding everyone up. If a Tuk Tuk  driver is held up in traffic they will get out of their Tuk Tuk and walk up to the car that is stopped to yell at them. Chaos. Total chaos!  Then there is trash. Trash everywhere. People have zero regard for the use of trash cans. They dirty their city as if they are not bothered by lack of cleanliness. There are more men on the streets than women, especially at night, as it is the culture for women to stay inside past 10pm. So you often see groups of men lining up the streets, just standing with their group, passing time, staring at the women tourist, approaching you to sell something, asking “where you from? Want to buy?”. People are sitting on the concrete ground, eating with their hands, while they are sweating from the 100+ degree temperatures. Mothers sit on the floor with their babies/infants laid across their laps. These kids look dehydrated and hungry. The mothers beg for money and all I can do is walk by. How can I give one when there are others  a few steps away?  I can’t just give all my money away. I feel so bad. And then there is the smell of the city. Food rotting, trash overflowing the streets and body odor radiating off of bodies. Shame, these women have to be so covered up in this heat. Ok – I hope this idea of chaos is coming through.

Example of trash + animals = dirty :(

The kids look so dirty, dehydrated and hungry. I was SO happy I had saved leftovers to give to this child to eat. Just heartbreaking.

Now that  I have just rambled on about what may seem to be negative qualities of India, there is also an essence of beauty that is hidden behind all of this chaos. However, one must take a step back and have true desire to delve into the depth of India to let its beauty shine. I’m COMPLETELY open to delving in!! This is exactly what I had expected. And I am still very happy to be here!!! As the guide books read, there are so many sides of India. Today, I experienced what I would characterize as a darker side, another city may bring a different feel all together.
The great things so far….. The architecture of some buildings here is truly a piece of art. One that I can appreciate tremendously.  I got to see a bollywood movie in a famous cinema. Good fun! I love how people ask me to take a picture with them, as if they have never seen a white person before.:) And having the opportunity to see life at its poorest always stimulates time of reflection and gratitude for what I have. I am fortunate for these opportunities and experiences right now.

Here is a picture of a group of men with big smiles on their faces. Amongst all the poverty, there is still an expression of happiness. What an amazing thing to witness!

2 comments:

  1. wow! This is such a great pic! keep uploading more, love living vicariously through them! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to India! I'm been anxiously awaiting your arrival as there is no place like India....in my opinion :) Can't wait to read the next posting!

    ReplyDelete