Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Hoi An - my favorite stop so far!

Hoi An, in central Vietnam, was my favorite stop on my journey so far. This is a place I will definitely return to in my future! Can't wait!

Why? This town has a mixutre of some of my favorite places. The town has a European feel with cobble stone streets, narrow allies, bright colored walls, plants and trees everywhere and open air cafes and shops.A river flows right through the center of town where you can take river boat rides.  It has the asian feel with locals walking around with their straw coned shaped hats and restuarnts serving delcious cheap Vietnames cuisine. The country side is only a bike ride away where there are acres and acres of rice and lotus flower fields, water buffalos, well manicured gardens and more! The beach is also very close by changing up the scene for a nice relaxed day. And the shops...... there must be at least 100 custom tailor shops where you can get an entire new wardrobe for an affordable price! Oh, I can't wait to return with an empty suitcase and money to my name.

This town has such a romantic feel. This was my favorite stop so far. I look forward to returning!

Some of the special memories to list:
  • One of my favorite flowers called bouganvilla were everywhere! These flowers remind me of both my childhood and my good friend Tawny. Loved seeing them all around town!
  • Chiwawa's were roaming the streets everywhere which always make me think of my dad, stepmother and stepbrother who have 4 of them! The dogs in Hoi An were much healthier than any of the other towns I have visited. This made me happy :)
  • There was even a place to play bingo in Hoi An which reminded me of my mother and aunt who absolutely love to play :)
  • There were much fewer bombarding sales people in this town. Finally! A place we can walk more than 100 steps before being asked to buy something. I just fell so bad for these people. Having a break from them helped me to enjoy my trip rather than feel bad for poor people.
  • The architecture is so nice. I just love old buidlings.
  • Music on the streets
  • Art galleries
  • Craft shops made by disabled people and orphans were easily found in town. I just love supporting shops like these.  
  • I walked by a school with a huge food guide pyramid painted at the entrance wall. Very cool!
  • And really my favorite of all are the many lanterns and lights that line the town and river at night. Just beautiful! 

 These pictures don't come close to the actual town. The web album below is better but you have to see it for yourself :)

 



 



  

 

 
 

 

 



 

 



 

 Saw this in one of the shops. Loved it :)

 



 

 I love how the light reflects off the river at night. This town is so romantic at night :)


 



Bike ride all day long
I'm coming back to this place!

 

 
 
I just love playing with kids!
 


 

 

 

 



 

 

 



 

 

 



 
Click on this picture for the entire album.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Elana! I'm loving reading about your amazing adventures :) Glad to see you're having a great time!

    Love,

    Lizi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoi Ann was definitely one my favorite places in Vietnam, probably the one place I would return to. Bought 2 suits from there and feasted on fresh-cut pineapple for 5,000 dong each! Did a cooking course there too. Glad you're enjoying yourself, I think the tour was definitely the way to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos and stories! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the quote you found at one of the restaurants....makes me think of your granduation dinner speech and your grandparents! Hoi Ann sounds amazing and shall definitely go on my 'must visit' list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and E something to consider....those very cheap suits and dresses may be cheap for a reason......and may use child labor.

    ReplyDelete