Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Funny memories worth capturing (to be continued!)

I have compiled some great memories that have made me laugh throughout my trip so far. I look forward to the many more I have to add to this list!


American fried rice. Hmm. Does it make it American because of the sausage that comes along with the rice? Oh no it must be the chicken wing in the back. Im confused.






In America we always follow the rules and put kids in a car seat. In SE Asia, there are NO rules! You see this EVERYWHERE!



Vietnams version of a Car seat :)





In front of most places there is a tiny house. In America the closest thing I can think of are garages where we house our cars. In Thailand and Cambodia they house Spirit! We feed our prized possession foreign gas. They feed their spirit local food. They visit their spirits house everyday making offerings and saying blessings. And we brag about our new car that we just paid a fortune for. Hmm such different priorities.





The bathrooms. Won't forget these. Had to learn how to use them and not complain. Drinking less water is the only way to prevent using them.





This lovely toilet confused me too. Yep, thats right. You pee on the floor. Welcome to my travels everyone :) Pretty sure I got two mosquito bites on my leg from using that one. So not only did I get to use this lovely toliet, I got two presents to leave me with. :( At least it had a door :) Could be worse.



  


Kids are amazing here. They figure out ways to use what they have and still look happy. Here is a picture of a kid who really was riding this bike. How cool.


Fill her up! Gas stations for tuk tuk refills. How fun! A big barrel and a hose. What else do you need?





Everywhere I go I see some type of spiritual corner where there are offerings made to the higher powers. Here is a picture in a bar in Cambodia where the offerings are shots of alcohol! At the end of the day it's still an offering.



Not motel 6. But even better. Motel 7!




Exactly what is birds nest flavoring? This drink is sold all around Cambodia!




And truly in the ingredient list it says: GENUINE Bird Nest. Hmmm not sure about trying out this one.




We stopped for some Vietnamese street food and was welcomed by a sign with an Italian guy as their logo. I think they are confused. No italian food on that menu, just Vietnamese food here!



Cyclo in Vietnam. Looks like a nice reclined ride at Disney land!



Group exercise classes in the early morning! Free of charge!! How fun is this?! No joking around here. These people are getting there workout in as a community activity. I'm jealous. I want this back at home.




I was walking along the street back to my hotel and I see 2 men getting their haircut on the sidewalk. Why not open up a barber shop on the sidewalk?



Love this!! Read it in a Vietnamese magazine in the health section. Talked about Acupuncture points to help with high cholesterol!




Size large in Vietnam. Guess I'm an XL in this country :( These underwear were tiny for a large!



Last but not least, whitening cream is sold everywhere here in Vietnam. Sad to say the lower class are the darker skin people as they are outdoors working in the fields all day, so having whiter skin is a sign of upper class. As travelers we want to be as brown as possible so be careful when purchasing simple body lotion!



Great memories to capture :) More to come as my journeys continue!

2 comments:

  1. I believe the 'bird nest' refers to an actual bird's nest made by a specific species of bird that makes their nests out of saliva.... crazy, huh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those were great! Great idea to capture them :)

    ReplyDelete