Monday, June 27, 2011

Meditating in the Desert

Since I got sick in India, I wasn’t able to fulfill my goal of visiting an Ashram and spending time deepening my meditation practice. So, I figured I would find an Ashram here in Israel to make up for lost time.
It was easy as can be. I used google to help me find one and tadah… here I am! Google + Lonely Planet makes dreams come true J I sit here now at the Ashram, grateful for this place and this experience. We meditate twice a day, I volunteer to do work for 6 hours during the day and enjoy 3 nice vegetarian meals throughout the day. Really nice community of people and extremely laid back environment. Although I thought I would stay for longer, I have decided just to stay here for 3 days and move on to other places in Israel. I had hoped for more meditation time but don’t get the feeling here that this is the focus of this center (which surprised me). The energy is more of a relax, very slow paced, feel. I hate to admit this but I am no longer in the mood for such an environment. Although slowing down for me has been a wonderful part of my trip, my natural fast paced self is ready for the fast paced world again! I am now really missing studying and working towards my goal in life – to be a good doctor and help people. It will return soon but I can’t help but want it back NOW. Patience dear Elana! Although a bit of me is ready to get back, I am still very grateful for being away and still have more intentions I want to fulfill! Being here at the Ashram is now one more to check off my list. Ultimately, being here has offered me time to reflect and reassess my goals and priorities in life in addition to offering me tools to teach me how to stay in balance in such a fast paced world. I am grateful for this time and looking forward to using some of these tools when I return home.
I am grateful to places like these for existing so I always know I have places to go when I need inspiration to re-balance my life! It is so easy to get caught up in our world of overwhelm and responsibilities and often I find it difficult to slow down and enjoy the present moment. These places are life savers in my opinion!
Click on the picture below for a few more pictures of the Ashram.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself. It was also refreshing to hear that you're ready to return to the US and start working. I personally believe that when one reaches this point in their travelling experience they have been fulfilled in a meaningful way! So yay! I say this of course in the context that the individual did not have an awful experience, which I'm assuming is not the case in your situation :)

    sorry for the wordy reply !

    ReplyDelete